• Users Online: 169
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2021  |  Volume : 4  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 170-174

Malnutrition in cancer patients receiving chemotherapy in a single oncology center


1 Department of Oncology, King Khaled University Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
2 College of Medicine Research Center, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Correspondence Address:
Firas A Almomen
College of Medicine Research Center, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh
Saudi Arabia
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/jnsm.jnsm_99_20

Rights and Permissions

Background: Cancer patients face a high risk of developing malnutrition due to cancer itself and as an adverse effect of receiving chemotherapy rounds. Objectives: The aim of this study is to estimate the prevalence of malnourishment in cancer patients receiving chemotherapy in an oncology center in Riyadh, to identify the biometric characteristics that are associated with changes due to receiving chemotherapy, and to identify possible associated risk factors affecting nutritional status. Methodology: A cross-sectional study was conducted at an oncology center in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, in 2018. The scored patient-generated subjective global assessment (PG-SGA), which is a global tool used to assess the nutritional status in cancer patients, was distributed among 126 patients, with 116 (92.1%) patients responding, and of which 110 (87.3%) were ultimately selected for participation. We assessed the associated risk factors of malnutrition, and inquired about cancer type, location, age, current residence, and social support. Past laboratory results (albumin, hemoglobin, mean corpuscular volume, and creatinine) were obtained from the patients' records. Results: Fifty-seven of the participants (51.8%) were malnourished according to the PG-SGA scoring system (Class B and C PG-SGA), and the other 53 participants (48.2%) were well-nourished (Class A PG-SGA). Out of the 57 malnourished patients, 39 (68.42%) were moderately malnourished (Class B PG-SGA), and 18 (31.58%) were severely malnourished (Class C PG-SGA). Conclusion: There is a statistically significant correlation between chemotherapy, cancer, and malnourishment. Intervention is required to improve the detection of the condition and increase both awareness and nutritional status of the affected patients.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed132    
    Printed0    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded21    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal